August 24, 2013

Queer Dirty Laundry Anniversary

I did not know back on August 24, 2010 that I would create something that would change my life forever. I started the blog Queer Dirty Laundry on a whim. I had always liked to write, but mainly it was poetry and short stories. I had never thought about writing nonfiction before. I liked the idea of a blog because in a way, it became a weekly diary of what was going on in my life.

I had decided to write about the diverse group of gay men I hung out with on a weekly basis as well. This varied group of guys kept the blog interesting. I liked the idea of everyone being so different and everyone having a different set of morals (or lack thereof) and beliefs. We all viewed relationships and sex differently and each of us had our experiences in the gay scene.

The idea for the blog hit me one night when a friend came up to me and said, “You need to write this stuff down, it’s funny.” I never thought anyone would actually want to read it. I started to write for myself. I wanted to get my opinions and views out there and to see if perhaps there were like-minded individuals such as myself among the world.
Creating the characters was easy, because they are real people. I just changed their names (some of them). I took the main people in my life and wrote about what was going on. I knew readers would be able to identify with someone in each post.

There is me, the hopeless romantic with strong morals on what is right and wrong in the gay world. I just want what any normal straight couple has.
Kevin who is the lovable best friend and who occasionally gets himself into mischief by making bad decisions. He is loyal and hilarious. The type of person you have to have in your corner.
Bobby who is the charming adorable dating machine just trying to find his perfect match. You have to kiss many frogs to find your prince. Through all the difficulties, he never loses hope that his Prince Charming is out there somewhere.
There is Benjamin who has not met a cock he did not like although he prefers black, Latin or mixed the best. You cannot help but love him though despite his promiscuous behavior.
Knockers our sassy gorgeous friend from Philadelphia who does not give a shit what people think about him. He’s sometimes harsh, but always speaks the truth.
Drew who is just a guy’s guy with an old soul discovering the gay world. He has a heart of gold hidden under a tough exterior.
Let’s not forget all the Fag Hags and Fruit Flies that love and support us like jockstraps.
The list of characters I have written about goes on and on. There’s a little bit of these characters in all of us. Who has been your favorite Queer Dirty Laundry character the past three years?

In the end, I have learned a lot writing about all these people. I am thankful for all the people I have in my life. Queer Dirty Laundry was not about sharing everyone’s dirty little secrets with the world, it was about sharing their lives with the world and I can’t wait to see how it ends…


My All Time Favorite Blog Posts:
10. Relationship Karma
9. The Unbirthdays (Gays in Wonderland)
8. Dating Profile Pet Peeves
7. Like A Virgin
6. Sinful
5. Warning Labels
4. The Deal Breakers
3. “I’m Naked Y’all!”
2. 4 Gay Guys, 3 Str8 Girls & a Beach House Trilogy
1. Connected